For nearly thirty years I have been blessed with longevity in the urban radio and music arena and I have enjoyed a pretty good reputation. I truly love the essence of music, particularly where it comes through the black american perspective. Yes, the method to all this madness is all about the music. I am a promoter of black arts and culture - globally.
That said, here's a random musical contemplation. This past Sunday It was men's day at my church. As I do each year, I sang in the Men's day choir (I have been so busy and swamped that I almost missed it this year, but at the insistence of one of my brethren I went in, one rehearsal and done). I love to do so because I spend year after year promoting and producing awesome music shows and festivals - indeed some of the biggest in our community.
SInging in the Men's Day Choir is sort of therapeutic for me. From my seat at the radio station, I hear some if not all of the best choirs, bands, singers and groups. I love discovering new talent in our community and giving them a shot on our many music stages throughout the course of the year. I love watching the crowds react to good musicianship and exceptional artistry. I love to work with some of the hottest professional bands, groups and singers in the nation as they share their latest hits live to our audiences in the community. I love it. My men's day is my opportunity to actually be in the choir, sitting next to the band, hearing what they hear and lending my voice to the awesome music that emanates from us. I cannot stop laughing as we sing those holy ghost gospel songs!!! It is like a thrill ride for me!!!
So this Men's Day, as I sang those inspiring gospel songs, those sweet songs of praise, those Pentecostal anthems, it dawned on me that I was in the company of some of the greatest musicians in the nation if not the world:
- The great @freddiefluwellen on bass - I been knowing him a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time and he has always been and is the truth!!! ,
- The incredible EricWalls on guitar - got to watch him work up close and wow - this dude right here;
- The brotha Dana Hammond on drums - he is always incredible - keepin it on the one...
- The ultra talented David Daughtry led and directed us - he has one of the top gospel albums out right now
- The awesome psalmist @duwarddavis led praise and worship.
- Didn't I see Judith Christie McAllister tending to stuff in the background?