Monday, February 06, 2006

Grammy Week: Let the Fun begin!!

It's Grammy Week and I'm in the mix! Whoo-Hoo! This is music's biggest night-our biggest week - our Academy Awards. It brings music's top stars from all over the globe, from every genre, from rap to classical, they are here in LA this week to participate in the honors and information as presented by the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences. Although I am involved in the R&B/Urban/Gospel side of the industry, I always love the professional gatherings where folk from all genres come together... it's kind of cool when you are sitting with someone who deals in rock, or classical or latin...I am what''s known as a power networker, my style is unassuming and gentle. I can talk to anyone, no matter what sphere they orbit in. I specialize in building relationships. And it is in that mode that I operate as I work a room at a multicultural function.

I went to the Grammy Salute to Gospel luncheon on Saturday...It was quite elegant. Not as cool as last year, but at least gospel is getting it's due from the Recording Academy. They honored Shirley Ceasar, Billy Ray Hearn (founder of the EMI Christian Music Group) BIll Hearn, (President of EMI Christian) and Richard Smallwood. It was great. There were performances by Kim Burrell, Andre' Crouch, Edwin Hawkins, Walter Hawkins, Jonathan Butler, and Kirk Whalum.. What a great event...

The Grammy experience is not all about glitz and glamour, they are really doing some great things in the community. For instance, today, they have the Grammy Career Day where they are gathering more than 1,300 high school students at USC's Thornton School of Music for a day of dialogue and experimentation. Top music industry pros will be on hand to discuss the realities of the music business and available careers in the industry. I am so glad they do this, because you meet so many young people who want to make it in this business but all they want to do is be in front of the mic, on camera, rappin', singing, just performing when there's a whole plethora of jobs - good jobs, behind the scenes...The event will feature panel discussions and will be followed by a variety of workshops addressing various fields in the music industry. This is valuable stuff for the young folk, I mean look at this roster of participants : Current Grammy nominees Amerie, Earth Wind & Fire, Fantasia, Sean Garrett, John Legend, Leff Lorber, Keb Mo', Omarion, Kanye West, Michelle Williams, Multiple Grammy Award winning Producer/songwriter David Foster, Dave Koz and more. Moderators of the panels include Randy Jackson from American Idol, Multiple Platinum super-producer Jimmy Jam and E! Entertainment's Dave Adelson. Not only these performers and producers, but HEAVYWEIGHT executives will participate also: My friend Jeannie Weems from ASCAP, My other friend Gail Mitchell Editor of R&B/HipHop Billboard Magazine, Universal Music Publishing Creative Affair EVP Tom Sturges and a host of other top notch execs.

Another Grammy Experience is the MusicCares Person of the Year banquet. This year, an exceptional group of music legends will honor James Taylor as the 2006 MusicCares Person of the Year. The Person of the Year honor is presented to a music legend whose extraordinary musical achievements and philanthropic commitment to arts, environmental and humanitarian causes are extremely notable and visible. The evening is one of Grammy Week's most prestigious and will feature a concert by India.Aire, Jackson browne, David Crosby, The Dixie Chicks, Dr. John, Carole King, and a host of music luminaries.

This Wednesday is the 48th Grammy Awards. It will be televised on CBS and features a host of outstanding performances. I just learned that they are paying special tribute to Sly and the Family Stone... (one of my FAVORITE groups when growing up - Everyday People, Higher, Hot Fun in the Summertime, If you want me to stay...). Your man Jay-Z will be joining Linkin Park on stage - now THAT should be interesting...

On Grammy day, I'll be jostling for postiion on the red carpet to get as many interviews as possible for the radio and my soon to be released website and my internet radio presence... Maybe I'll post some here...

After the stars arrive, I'll be in the media room, providing behind the scenes reporting to the station, while getting some of the hottest interviews around.... My favorites? John Legend and Stevie Wonder... For a review of the R&B Category, check out the nominees here.... also you can go to www.grammy.com for the latest Grammy info....

No comments: