Monday, February 15, 2016

Contemplations of 2016 Grammy Awards.. live blog 1:46pm

1:46 PM And so here I am in the media room at the 58th Annual Grammy Awards. I sit here in the midst of an awards season that has everyone on edge with regards to the lack of diversity in the nominations. And while most folks attention is turned to the Academy Awards, I must say that the Grammy Awards has had its share of accusation of #grammysowhite. In recent days, in fact, I am hearing about the perceived snub in the In Memoriam category.... I've heard that the Recording Academy has decided to not include Maurice White and Natalie Cole in their memorial section. I'm left wondering if the tragic passing of these two isn't acknowledged because they left this earth after the Grammy recognition period. Now lets be clear, I am not excusing this omission however, I am saying there is a structure to what the Academy does. Now, As I arrive and set up my gear, I've heard that there is a big Earth Wind and Fire tribute featuring Stevie Wonder. Perhaps there isn't a snub after all.

I think fans need to understand that the Grammy Awards fetes every type of musical genre imaginable. I mean there is an award given to engineers, remixers, arrangers, artists in bluegrass, classical, tropical music, and so much more... To accommodate this, there is a huge pre-show that started at 12:30 and goes to 3:30. This is also where most of the black categories are presented. So yes, before the main televised events, before most of our favorite artists hit the red carpet the Academy has given hundreds of awards. I am sitting here now.... watching....

One interesting interview was with the winners of the Best Contemporary Instrumental Album. Snarky Puppy and the Metropole Orkest... I asked them to define why and how they came up with th concept of putting audience/listeners on stage with them.... he started  to express how they were always a studio/garage band and that someone challenged them that he loved the band live but hated to studio experience. And so the band decided to bring audience/listeners to experience the recording session from the perspective of the artist... The director of the Metropole Orkest addd that this revolutionary concept is taking hold in orchestra and jazz performances across Europe.... interesting....

No comments: