Saturday, February 20, 2016

The 2016 Stellar Awards - Gospel's Biggest Night - live blogged

So it's awards season and her I am again... in the media room trying to share sights and sounds as today's hottest artists receive their honors for their efforts and releases of the past year. The Stellar Awards is gospel music's biggest night. It is a huge honor to say one is Stellar Award nominated artist or radio station and it is an even more magnificent honor to say one is Stellar Award winner.

In my many years of experience, I have never experienced the Stellar Awards. I am an integral member of the team that earned a Stellar Award for KJLH Radio as Radio Station of the Year. But I have never attended this auspicious occasion. And so here I am.

Now you must understand that this isn't just one evening of an awards show... This is an entire weekend of showcases and special events. I attended the official All White Party when I arrived in LAs Vegas. And while I had no idea what to expect, I was really impressed with the attendance and the quality of attendees. I mean Doug Williams, Edwin Hawkins, Byron Cage, Richard Smallwood just to name a few. I witnessed some excellent music ministries of up and coming  artists... it was awesome.

I then rushed over to the other side of town to attend Gerald and Tammi Haddon's Love and Lyrics Showcase. Now THIS was rockn.... I saw Anthony Brown and Group Therapy, Jonathan McReynolds,  plus an exceptional lineup of independent artists. It was phenomenal.

I also attended the ASCAP/Motown Gospel breakfast. This performing rights agency took this opportunity to honor all the nominees on the Motown Gospel Label. It was a nice way to start the day.... And now I'm backstage at the Awards Ceremony.

The opening number was delivered by Anthony Brown and Group Therapy and it definitely set the tone for the evening... I really like this group. He is authentic and his song Worthy really ministers to me..

Charles Jenkins won for Choir of the Year and Anthony Brown just won for Male Vocalist of the year.

I have some more observations in a bit

No comments: