Monday, February 15, 2016

Contemplations of the 58th Grammy Awards: - 3:03pm

I'm sitting here in the media room of the 58th Annual Grammy Awards watching the Pre-show.... Most folk don't know that there is a three hour preshow where a huge amount of Grammy categories are awarded including most of the black/urban categories. I really like to hear this because I get such a well rounded exposure to different music. For instance, I didn't know about the jazz vocalisms of Cecile McLorin Salvant. She's won the Grammy for Best Jazz album.. I am really loving her music....

The buzz is all about Kendrick Lamar with 11 nominations... well thus far in the pre-show, Kenrick has won 4 awards..... Pretty impressive.... Best Rap Performance, Best Rap/Sung Collaboration, Best Rap Song, and Best Music Video Taylor Swift featuring Kendrick Lamar..... In the media room, Thundercat came back to speak to us as one of the singers on Kendrick Lamar's track which won the best rap/sung collaboration "these walls".. I asked him to reflect back on his beginnings and contrast with how he feels right this moment.. He took a deep breath and began to express his gratitude for Locke High School in Watts and Mr. Reggie Andrews... He was so grateful for Mr. Reggie Andrews that he kept saying his name.... So I called Reggie and put them on the phone together... priceless.....

In th gospel categories, Kirk Franklin won for Best Gospel Performance/Song for I just want to be Happy..... During his acceptance, he brought up several of those who he was up against.  Because they represented the future of gospel music. In the media room, I asked him what he thought about the future.. He expressed that it was an honor to be among these new young cats and being able to pour into them..... He also reinforced that Gospel Music is like a Mission Field as opposed to being about blowing up.. I felt this to be tremendously profound...especially with how I have been observing the gospel music field lately.

This has been a decent night so far... Live blogging from the 58th Annual Grammy Awards....East coast.. here they come!!!!

No comments: