Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas State of Mind...

Over the holiday season, I have been too busy to really contemplate what the holiday season means for me and my family. I mean things were really busy from feeding nearly 5000 hot Thanksgiving meals to the homeless and indigent on LA's Skid Row with the Union Rescue Mission to being a part of a community wide effort at the yard of Jackson Limousine Service to giveaway turkeys and all the trimmings to the needy people in our community... There, we serviced more than 10,000 people with a nice sized turkey, and all the trimmings plus a box of groceries to tide them over in these hard times. Big up to EJ Jackson, Lyn and everybody over at Jackson Limousine....


After Thanksgiving, I switched gears to Toy mode just in time for a major toy drive and giveaway. Gathering toys, reading letters and talking to people who need so much this holiday season... Spreading some positive cheer to young people who if not for this drive, would not receive the joy of Christmas in any way shape form or fashion. Stevie Wonder's House Full of Toys Benefit Concert was a hit with The Jonas Brothers, Michele, India Arie and more..... We gathered so many toys... a lot of kids will be happy this Chrismas morning...

As of this writing I am approaching the last of this project. And the closer I get to the end, I have to admit that for the last few days I have been pining and reflecting on my circumstances, my family. my holiday swagger...

I realize that my parent's passing gives pause to ponder the brokenness of family. Now that they are gone, there is no gathering.... no dinner planned.... no exchange of gifts....  a memory of Christmas past. There are relationships that need to be galvanized...... and there is a future generation....

But even  still the Christmas story warms a light inside of me... Even at this quiet time of reflection.... There is hope in each day... There is celebration with each moment... There is a future..... There is joy.... Joy to the World!!

No comments: